Thursday, March 29, 2007

In response to Tammi Weiss

I was raised Christian, brought to church every Sunday whether I liked it or not. Instead of remembering what I was taught in Sunday School or what what the pastor said, I remember the love I felt and received from all members of the church. I am not sure if I believe in a God but do believe in a higher power or deity. I am not religious but still remember the feeling of church and all the good memories I have there. I feel that church taught me to love everyone for who they are and except this. Church became an extra support system for me as I grew older; I could go there whenever I needed to and could always find someone to comfort me. As I read Tammi's blog I was extremely impressed with the acceptance of others. She was very upfront with her beliefs but also accepted everyone else's beliefs as well. I agree with Tammi that religion is still helpful as long as it is bringing people together and not tearing them apart. Religion can be a great source of love within a community and a common trait within cultures.
Unlike Tammi, I was extremely impressed with the article "Why do we Believe". I thought that the article provided many good points and observations on religion. My personal favorite was the idea that religion was a spendral. Although Tammi and I don't agree on many religious issues, I found it wonderful that she was willing to learn and accept other individuals' beliefs.

No comments: